Our College Library
The Central Library of Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi College, Tezpur was established in the year 1979. The old Library was situated near the old office (old administrative block) which looked like a traditional Assam type house. It was constructed keeping in mind several factors like economic and physical (area) and the Library was managed by the office staff. After that the old Library was shifted to the ground floor and then again shifted to the second floor of the three storey building then since its inception the Library is look after by the trained Librarian. The present Librarian has been appointed as the first professionally qualified Librarian of LGB Girls’ College in the year 2010. Since then the Library has made consistent progress in terms of collection of books, periodicals, services & infrastructure provided. In 2021 the Library was once again shifted to the ground floor of the newly built three storey building. The Central Library has a sizeable collection of books & other reading material to meet the information needs of the members. The Central Library membership encompasses the college students, faculty members and non-teaching staff. We allow open access to the collection and encourage students to browse through the stacks. The Central Library is also used for recreation and leisure as it provides light reading materials like magazines, novels etc.
To develop, organize, provide access to and preserve materials to meet the needs of present & future generation of Library Users. To provide right information to the right users at the right time and in the right format.
- To provide College students with the information they need to achieve their highest academic potential and help them to acquire life long learning.
- To support and supplement the academic programme by providing teaching-learning resources required by the faculty members as well as students.
- To support teaching faculty to participate in interactive information to exchange with the wider Library/Educational Community.
Total Area of Library
- Extend support to teaching, learning and research initiatives of the college.
- Provide access to OPAC and e-resources.
- Assist in retrieval of reading material and e-resources.
- Upgrade and develop a Digital Library.
- To inspire and encourage the student.
- To inculcate a reading culture to every user of the Library.
Library Learning Resources
- Total- 1626 sq.ft. (Approx.)
- Reading Room- 400 sq.ft
- Reference Section- 897 sq.ft
- Digital Library- 299 sq.ft
- Total Number of Books 10,521
- Total no. of books- Year: 2017-2022
Library Software Used
- Book Bank- 320
- Reference Books- 548
- Dept. Library Books- 1674
- No. of Journals- 04
- No. of e-Journals- As in N-LIST (6,150 e-Journals)
- No. of Magazines- 02
- No. of Newspapers (Regional)- 05, (National)- 01
- Binding Volume- 24
SOUL 2.0 (ILMS)
Total Number of Newspaper Subscribed
Total Number of Journals & Magazines Subscribed
||Name of the Newspaper
||The Assam Tribune
||The Times of India
Services offered by Library
Area of Library Automation
- Membership service.
- Circulation service.
- Reference service.
- OPAC service.
- Current awareness service.
- Reprographic service.
- Reading Room service.
- Preservation of old Question Papers.
- News Paper Clipping.
- Orientation programme for fresher’s- To introduce new users with Library resources and services, the Library staff has been conducting orientation programme for TDC 1st Semester students and H.S. 1st Year students at the beginning of each academic session since 2017-18.
Status- Partially Automated.
At present following modules are available-
Circulation module (very soon in operation).
Membership of Library Networks
The Library is an active member of INFLIBNET centre. On 2nd March 2022, our college Library has been registered under N-LIST programme successfully. On 27th June 2022, the Central Library of our college started accessing e-resources from N-LIST. Through N-LIST students and faculty members of college can access N-LIST e-Journals and consortium.
Digital Library Initiative
Newly install SOUL 2.0 software & Cataloguing process with data operation of Book Bibliographic Details is going on. Digital library software is also accessible through College Website.
List of Equipments
Library Advisory Committee
||Name of Item
The Library has an Advisory Committee consisting of teachers from different streams.
The composition of the Library Committee is:
Principal- Chairperson: Dr. Tapan Kumar Kalita
Librarian- Secretary: Mrs. Leenakshi Das
(i) IQAC- Co-ordinator: Mr. Simanta Hazarika,
Asst. Co-ordinator: Mrs. Sandhani Dutta
(ii) Vice Principal &
(iii) Three Heads of the Department.
Best Reader Award
To motivate the students for using the Library, the Library has a practice of giving away “Best Readers Award” to maximum one student & one teacher at the end of each session.